Friday, April 9, 2010

Long overdue update

I had the best of intentions about keeping up with this blog, but here is an update...finally. I think I had a mental block about writing more until I had some idea what was going to happen with my hip. Today was almost the first day I had no pain in my right hip for months, but I finally have a plan for this hip.

Last week I went back to the surgeon yet again hoping for some answers. He told me I basically had two choices - live with the pain or to have a periacetabular osteotomy (PAO), which was what he recommended over a year ago. It was only my uneasiness with that procedure that led me to have arthroscopy instead. However, I have yet to be pain-free following that surgery, and it really feels like I have torn the cartilage again. If I had to live with the pain, it's not that bad, usually not much more than 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. But I don't want the joint to wear out prematurely. The surgeon thinks it already has mild arthritis but is confident that I will have a great outcome with the PAO.

So I will lose part of another summer with the hope of enjoying many summer and winter activities without pain in the future.

3 comments:

  1. sorry to hear that, its not much of a choice is it! ... i know the feeling, i feel like i'm trying to run up a mountain of ice and getting nowhere fast!
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I read your blog and have my own.. frankly these blogs got me thru the last year and I have set up a facebook page dedicated to putting up great hip blogs and would ask if you would share yours on this site by linking your to the site, it will create more traffic to your site and give one place where a newly diagnosed person can find all good hip blogs. It is on facebook and called 'FAI Hip impingment blogs' and covers PAO and THR as they often over lap.
    Your help to others will be much appreciated..
    Many thanks Louisa
    myfaihippain.blogspot.com if you're wondering who I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your recover is good and fast and you are becoming pain free this time.

    ReplyDelete